- "Stupid sky!"
- ―Josh, annoyed at his puzzle
|Season 2, Episode 1|
|Air date||March 14, 2004|
|Written by||George Doty IV|
|Directed by||Steve Hoefer|
The Bet is the first episode of the second season of Drake & Josh.
Drake bets that he can last longer without junk food than Josh can without video games. Each of them get more and more desperate, but only one can be the winner.
Drake is addicted to junk food and Josh is addicted to video games. When said addictions cause the two to forget to walk Megan home on a rainy day, they are punished by their mom. Afterwards, they make a bet to see who can last longer without their addictions, signing a contract with Megan stating that the loser must dye their hair pink.
Initially, both boys struggle bad enough without their additions, but then things go from bad to worse for the two, as one morning, Drake wakes up with an unsightly, disfiguring rash. Dr. Jeff Glazer explains that his body was so used to junk food that he is experiencing a side effect from the abrupt withdrawal, which can be cured only by returning to his old diet. Josh begins to gloat, until he receives a package from Grammy containing the brand new GameSphere, a highly advanced video game system which will not be available in stores for three months. Despite the new circumstances, neither Drake nor Josh is willing to cave.
At this point, their parents see them both agonizing, and they make their own bet over who will win. Audrey bets on Josh and Walter bets on Drake, and the loser will also dye their hair pink, and the parents sign a contract with Megan. Both Drake and Josh are ready to cave when Megan convinces both to try and sabotage the other behind their backs. Josh turns their room into a candy palace with cotton candy pillows, streams of licorice, and an inflatable pool of chocolate milk, and chows down on the various treats in front of Drake. Drake, in turn, sets up Josh's GameSphere, and plays it right in front of him. Finally, it becomes too much for both of them, and they both cave at the same moment. Then, they get into a fight, arguing over who caved first, and end up wrestling into the chocolate milk pool. Audrey and Walter intervene, and Megan reveals that it does not matter who caved first, as they both caved, and they both lost. Because of this, both Audrey and Walter have both lost their bet as well.
At the end, everyone dyed their hair pink the next day except Megan. However, Drake stays behind to get breakfast and it is revealed that he just put on a pink wig.
- Drake Bell as Drake Parker
- Josh Peck as Josh Nichols
- Nancy Sullivan as Audrey Parker-Nichols
- Jonathan Goldstein as Walter Nichols
- Miranda Cosgrove as Megan Parker
- Roark Critchlow as Dr. Jeff Glazer
- This was the first episode to include the current setting of Drake and Josh's room.
- If you look carefully, Drake caves first, because he grabbed the bag of gummy bears before Josh grabbed the GameSphere controller to play on the GameSphere.
- The GameSphere is an obvious parody of the real life game system, Nintendo GameCube. However, the Game-Sphere's controller resembles an Xbox controller.
- At the start, Josh was using a PlayStation 2 controller to play his game, also after that, he had a red Game Boy Advance SP.
- This is the first episode without Scottie, Rina, and Paul.
- The wireless controller Drake had while playing the Game-Sphere resembled a Nintendo 64 controller.
- Josh says "Look out red turtle shell, you ain't no match for Joshie!" when he is playing his game and in a later shot, Drake says "jump the mushroom". This is a clear reference to Super Mario Bros.
- This is the first time Drake and Josh make a bet. The second will be Who's Got Game?.
- The Amazing World of Gumball, Life with Derek, and Maya & Miguel had a season 2 episode that shared the same name as this.
- Audrey could have gotten out of the bet because the bet says that the loser must dye his hair pink. However, the bet was written without taking into consideration that women may join it, meaning that she probably wouldn't be an exception.
- This is the first episode where Drake doesn't have spiky hair, and has a bowl-cut instead.
- At the end of the episode, when Drake wears a wig instead of dyeing his hair pink, his season 1 spiky hair appears after taking off the wig.
- Josh's brown top hat is similar to the one the late Gene Wilder wears in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
- This is the first episode directed by Steve Hoefer.
- This also marks the first time Drake and Josh physically fought after an argument.
- Running Gag: Audrey and Walter, and Drake and Josh reading the contract for the bet, and reading "The loser must dye", and being confused, until Megan flips the page and the sentence continues with "his hair pink."
- This episode is similar to an episode of Seinfeld called The Gun, but the story got changed and the Seinfeld episode was renamed "The Phone Message" instead.
- Drake is actually eating cereal with soda instead of milk.
- This episode shows that Drake is more clever than he is credited for as he secretly bought a wig to avoid the consequences.
- Megan worded the contract so that whoever caves would have to dye their hair, and then convinced Drake and Josh to sabotage each other to make their addictions worse so they would both cave.
- There is a widescreen version where Josh showed everyone the GameSphere that was shown from the Game Shakers behind the scenes video.
- The name "GameSphere" is referenced in the episode "Towelie" from South Park, where it's named the 2001 Okama Gamesphere.
- This episode marked the first appearance of Dr. Jeff Glazer.
- This episode appears as a flashback on Peruvian Puff Pepper and Dr. Phyllis Show.
- When Megan comes into the house after getting soaked in rain, you clearly see it's a sunny day behind her and that water was just falling in front of the house.
- When Drake first comes into Science class, he is covering his face with a light brown book. However, when Josh says "Yes Princess?", the book is black. Then, when the science teacher says "Drake Put The Book Down.", it's light brown again.
- If you look closely, Drake doesn't actually hit Josh's hand with his science book.
- When the teacher first begins talking about the eye, she only draws one circle. When Josh is in his video game fantasy, the eye now has labels for parts of the eye. When the teacher is calling Josh, there are two circles and no labels. When she tells Josh to pay attention, there is only one circle. Then, when she shows everyone the real human eye, there are three circles and labels.
- Almost throughout the episode Drake has a rash all over his face but in the scene where Drake and Josh are fighting in the swimming pool full of chocolate milk, Drake is still seen with his rash on his face although you can't really see him with his rash since he's covered in chocolate milk but in the next scene where the episode ends and everyone's hair is pink except Megan, his rash is gone, it's unlikely how his rash just went away so fast and quickly.
- When Megan comes home all wet while Drake and Josh are eating junk food and playing video games, Audrey comes back yelling at them but when she enters the house, it's still raining outside and she's not even wet at all, when she walks in through the front door, she's still completely dry.
- In the scene where Megan says "everyone can see I'm wet you boob", Josh is not holding his controller but in the next scene where Audrey says "you were too busy to go get your sister but you weren't too busy to play video games all day", he's again seen holding his controller where Audrey grabs it and takes it away from him.
- When Drake takes out the cupcakes from the cupboard after Josh runs upstairs with the blender, you can see very closely that they're not actually cupcakes, they're just sandwiches wrapped up in plastic and put into cupcake boxes because you can tell they are pieces of bread.
- When Audrey sends Drake and Josh upstairs to their room, she tells them they're grounded tonight and Drake says it's Saturday night, but it's still the afternoon even though it's raining.
- In the scene where Drake and Josh are eating junk food and playing video games, it's raining but when the camera shows a closeup of the house, it's not raining at all.
Click here to view the gallery
Click here to view the transcript
Where to Watch
This episode is logoless on google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eLvXMHM8D5zDzR196UNzNs7voOkALVxW/view