|Season 2, Episode 9|
|Air date||September 12, 2004|
|Written by||Dan Schneider|
|Directed by||Virgil L. Fabian|
Number 1 Fan
Driver's License is the ninth episode of the second season of Drake & Josh.
Drake fails to get his driver's license while Josh obtains it, and Josh is excited until he gets a ticket for running a stop sign. Fearing that Walter will take his license away for good after Walter instructed the boys with a practice-test, Drake offers to pay for the ticket and keep it a secret. But in return, Drake starts asking Josh to drive him around everywhere, threatening to reveal his ticket to Walter. But Josh decides he has had enough when Drake makes him drive his date around while dressing and acting as a chauffeur, which leads to a fight.
- Drake Bell as Drake Parker
- Josh Peck as Josh Nichols
- Nancy Sullivan as Audrey Parker-Nichols
- Jonathan Goldstein as Walter Nichols
- Miranda Cosgrove as Megan Parker
- Jake Farrow as Gavin Mitchell
- Torrey DeVitto as Denise
- Heather Marie Marsden as Carly
- Erik Estrada as Police Officer
- Maree Cheatham as Driving Instructor
- "Chives" is the name of a butler on The Amanda Show, and the Headless Knight’s butler Chives from Kenan and Kel: Two Heads Are Better Than None.
- This episode marks the first time that Drake or Josh drives (with the exception of Dune Buggy).
- The woman who played Josh's driving instructor (Marie Cheatham) would later play Nona, Cat's grandma, on Sam & Cat.
- Inside-Out Burger is a parody of In-N-Out Burger.
- The police officer that gives Josh a ticket is played by Erik Estrada best known for his role as Officer Ponch on the crime drama CHiPs.
- Erik Estrada appears on another Nickelodeon show Big Time Rush as Carlos Garcia's father. Coincidentally, both of the characters Erik played were police officers.
- Carly is the name of Miranda Cosgrove's character in iCarly and Drake's future girlfriend in Who's Got Game?.
- Josh mentions that he spent his life savings on a tanning bed which breaks. He stated in an earlier episode Guitar that he was saving up for one, and then later in the episode, he says that he's going to get one.
- Though it may be a different tanning bed and not the same one.
- This is the only episode Megan pranks on Walter.
- Since Drake didn't get his license in this episode, sometime between this and Drake & Josh Go Hollywood, Drake eventually succeeds (according to Megan in the movie, while they are driving her to the airport, it took him about six tries to get his license).
- When Josh says “To the Josh Mobile.” it’s a reference to Batman when he says “To the Bat Mobile.”
- Chives is actually known as a type of herb that is used in cooking.
- This episode is similar to “Used Car” from Beavis and Butt-Head when Hamid's boss fires Hamid after Beavis and Butt-head crashed the car when they did not have licenses or insurance.
- This episode is similar to “Speed trapped” from Daria when Daria gets her driver's license as she and Quinn take a road trip to bail out Jane and Mystic Spiral.
- In the scene where Drake & Josh are in their bedroom, Josh is studying while Drake is playing a violent video game, though it could be Grand Theft Auto due to Josh mentioning that Drake was stealing buses and ramming dragons in-game.
- This episode is not available on any streaming services due to licensing issues with material used in the episode.
- Those who just recently received their driver's licenses are not legally allowed to drive at night, so Josh was breaking the law by doing so.
- Carly says Drake did a lot of wrong things on his road test. If he ran 4 stop signs, 2 red lights, drove on the sidewalk, rear-ended a firetruck and almost ran over the old lady in a wheelchair just because he said she was hogging the lane, then why didn't he get any traffic tickets for all of that?
- After Drake is done doing his road test, Carly said he did a lot of bad things during his test, and cannot get his driver's license, but during his road test, he's not seen doing anything wrong while driving, although the only thing he was seen doing is making a sharp turn into Inside-Out Burger right away. Carly didn't say anything about it when she listed all the bad stuff he did. That's the only thing she forgot to say, although that does count as a mistake he made.
- Drake goes to Inside-Out Burger during his road test, but he's not really allowed to go to fast food restaurants during a road test. It's against the law to go somewhere to eat while driving in a road test and that's usually something he would only be allowed doing after he's done.
- Where Josh brings in the groceries and says "TO THE JOSH MOBILE," it's afternoon when he and Drake leave the house, but in the next scene where they're driving and Josh runs a stop sign, it's night.